Monday, 24th of June 2024
Subscribe | Log in
Local News, the Trusted News Source

Latest News

Three fires in two weeks on same Windsor street

Jul 17, 2023

Windsor’s George Street has experienced a string of unfortunate incidents as fire crews were called to yet another fire today, marking the third fire incident within a two-week span. This recent incident occurred at the NAB bank. Earlier this month, fire engulphed Windsor Seafoods and another fire incident occurred at Hawkesbury City Council Chambers.

Shortly after 11:30 am, fire officers responded to a call reporting a fire at the NAB bank on George Street. Upon arrival, they discovered a small electrical fire in the ceiling and wall cavity. As a precautionary measure, the building was evacuated, but fortunately, no injuries were reported.

The historic NAB Buiding at Windsor was built by Mansfield Bros of Sydney in 1879.

Firefighting operations continued for approximately an hour and a half until 1 pm, at which point the site was deemed safe and returned to the occupants. The fire is not being treated as suspicious. This incident comes ahead of the NAB’s plans to close its Windsor branch in August, forcing customers to travel to Rouse Hill, Castle Hill, or utilize local Australia Post services.

This recent fire at the NAB bank follows another fire incident that occurred on July 7 at the Hawkesbury City Council Chambers, also situated on George Street. During that incident, smoke from a heating element in an air conditioning unit activated alarms, prompting the dispatch of three fire and rescue trucks. Fire and rescue personnel arrived at the scene around 9:30 pm on the Friday, after three alarms had been triggered.

Windsor Seafoods sustains extensive damage after second fire in six years.

Upon arrival, responders discovered a small amount of smoke emanating from the premises. Further investigation revealed that the smoke originated from a heating element within the air conditioning unit. The building manager was called and cut off the power supply, isolating the unit. After a two-hour operation, the fire crews concluded their work and departed the scene at 11:00 pm.

These two fires were preceded by a third blaze that ravaged the popular local restaurant, Windsor Seafoods, on July 2. The fire reportedly started in a cold storage facility within the restaurant’s historic two-storey building. Remarkably, this marks the second fire at the premises in just six years, following an electrical fire in 2017 that resulted in an estimated $75,000 in damages. Authorities have ruled out any suspicion of foul play, deeming the fires accidental.

The premises housing Windsor Seafoods and the neighbouring properties are currently up for sale. They will be offered for sale, as a single entity, at an auction scheduled for August 10, 2023.

Keep Updated

Local News
VIEW All >

REAL ESTATE
VIEW All >

WHAT'S ON
VIEW All >